10 Reasons to be at AQHA’s Lucas Oil World
The Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show in Oklahoma City isn’t just a horse show; it’s a bucket-list-worthy destination.
September 11, 2018
The American Quarter Horse Association
As fall sets in, championship season is on the minds of horse enthusiasts worldwide. Since the first AQHA World Championship Show in 1974, the event has been a bucket-list item for exhibitors and fans alike. This year’s event is no different.
Sponsored by Lucas Oil, this year’s event runs November 1-17 at State Fair Park in Oklahoma City. Here are 10 reasons you need to be there in person to enjoy it.
- Watch your favorite events. Want to watch the world’s best horses competing in a variety of events? In just a few days’ time, you can watch the world’s best compete in your favorite events. See the tentative schedule here to plan when you want to join us in Oklahoma City.
- Quality dining. Oklahoma City is home to a number of dining establishments touted by Forbes magazine, like Bellini’s Ristorante, Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse and The Coach House. You’ll also want to hit up cowboy favorites like the Ranch Steakhouse and Cattlemen’s Steakhouse, as well as exhibitor favorites Trapper’s and Chelinos.
- Trade show. More than 120 vendors will line up in State Fair Park’s gorgeous Bennett Event Center. The shopping mecca will feature several concession options, two cocktail bars and lots of entertainment.
- Special events. This year’s show will feature various special events. Check out www.aqha.com/worldshow closer to the show to see which events you want to attend!
- Millions will be paid out. In 2017, competitors went home with $2.3 million.
- Ride the Pattern clinics. AQHA Professional Horsemen from around the country are teaming up with AQHA Corporate Partner Nutrena to show audiences how they would complete a specific pattern from the show at these free clinics. The Nutrena Ride the Pattern clinics are also a great place to support the Professional Horsemen Crisis Fund because any donations received at the clinics will be generously matched by Nutrena.
- Lucas Oil Superhorse. AQHA will award the most prestigious award of the show to the top Lucas Oil Superhorse contender, which will also take home $25,000.
- Nightlife for the over-21 crowd. You’ll find the best nightlife in iconic Bricktown, but the Oklahoma Rodeo Opry in the historic Stockyard City is also worth a visit.
- AQHA Awards Celebration. New this year, you’ll have the chance to attend the AQHA Awards Celebration where we will honor the 2017 year-end award winners. All members, especially attendees of the 2018 Lucas Oil World, are encouraged to purchase tickets to this fun and exciting event that highlights your peers. The AQHA Awards Celebration is November 11 at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. After the “Oscar-style” awards presentation, attendees are invited to enjoy live entertainment, presented by Michael Murphy's Dualing Pianos. It is sure to be a great event you won’t want to miss. Purchase your ticket today! More details are available at www.aqha.com/highpoints.
- Only the world’s best horses. Many championship shows are open to any and all entries, but not the Lucas Oil World. Horses and exhibitors must earn a predetermined number of points to secure a spot in each of the classes.