Special Events Lined Up for Lucas Oil World
The 2018 Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show will feature a variety of events and activities in and out of the arena for competitors and spectators.
October 14, 2018
The American Quarter Horse Association
The 2018 Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show will be an exciting event that you won’t want to miss. Top athletes from across the globe will compete for more than $2.4 million in awards and prizes at this year’s event November 1-17 at State Fair Park in Oklahoma City.
Not only can Lucas Oil World attendees look forward to watching the top equestrians and American Quarter Horses compete in the arena, but this year’s Lucas Oil World is filled with new and exciting special events.
AQHA World Show Trade Show
Take a break from the action in the arenas to enjoy the free Trade Show; it features more than 100 vendors from across the United States, selling home décor, jewelry, tack, western attire, trailers and more in the Bennet Event Center. The Trade Show will also showcase the AQHA Champions Circle on days that have Level 3 finals before 5 p.m., United Kennel Club Dog Show, several concessions stands, coffee bar and much more.
Free Ride the Pattern Clinics, presented by Nutrena
AQHA Professional Horsemen from around the country are teaming up to provide free Ride the Pattern Clinics, presented by Nutrena, at the Lucas Oil World. During the clinics, Professional Horsemen explain to the audience how they would complete a specific pattern from that show. View the clinicians and tentative schedule for the Ride the Pattern clinics.
Level 1 Stakes Classes
This show offers scores of opportunities for exhibitors competing in the arena. Three more Level 1 (horse) stakes classes, with added money, have been added to this year’s Lucas Oil World. In addition to the open Level 1 (horse) western pleasure, sponsored by Glover Galyean Partnership, and hunter under saddle, sponsored by Leslie Bacon and Running Stag Farm, exhibitors can now show eligible horses in open Level 1 (horse) ranch riding, sponsored by BMG Quarter Horses; trail, sponsored by Oak Springs Ranch; and western riding, sponsored by Masterson Farms. Exhibitors in the Level 1 stakes classes will be vying for top honors and $1,000 in added money in each class. Each class will be held in the Performance Arena, and awards will be presented through 10th place. The deadline to enter a stakes class is 5 p.m. the night before each class, and the cost to enter is $100 each, with 75 percent of the entry fees, plus added money, as payout. Entry forms are available in the Competitor Resources section of www.aqha.com/worldshow.
Again this year, more than $150,000 has been added to the halter prize money at the 2018 Lucas Oil World, thanks to the generosity of 10-year cumulative breeders Steve and Kathy Headley of Bloomington, Indiana; 30-year cumulative breeders Gary and Linda Gordon of Fossil Gate Farms, Roanoke, Texas; and 30-year cumulative breeders Terry and Tammy Bradshaw of Thackerville, Oklahoma.
A variety of special events will also take place during the show. Be sure to mark your calendar before traveling to Oklahoma City.
- November 3 and 4 – Dog Agility Trials, hosted by OKPaws Agility Club in the Bennet Events Center.
- November 3 – Lucas Oil World Match Roping and Mutton Bustin’ at 6 p.m. in the Jim Norick Arena
Meet young guns Cory Solomon and Timber Moore and Legends Blair Burk and Fred Whitfield from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Bennett Event Center. Rodeo entertainer JJ Harrison will also be available to sign autographs, along with the author of “Pistol the Horse,” Dr. Rebekah Hartfield.
(30 youth entries will be randomly drawn before the show to participate in the mutton bustin’. Click here for more information. )
- Sunday, November 4 – Trailer Loading Competition (AQHA Staff vs. Ring Crew vs. AQHA Professional Horsemen) at 5 p.m. in the Jim Norick Arena
(November 4 is also Daylight Saving Time – fall back an hour)
- Sunday, November 4 – Church Service 10 a.m. in the Sales Pavilion
- Monday, November 5 – International guests are invited to an International Reception from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Bennett Event Center
- Tuesday, November 6 – Exhibitor Party. Sponsored by the Oklahoma Convention & Visitors Bureau from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the Bennett Event Center
- Wednesday, November 7 – Wear blue to show your support for the American Quarter Horse Foundation; Wine and Cheese Reception, hosted by the Foundation from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the Foundation Booth in the Bennett Event Center
- November 9-11 – Dog Conformation Show, Rally Obedience, Nosework and SPOT (socialized pet obedience test), hosted by United Kennel Club and United Dog Owner’s Group in the Bennett Event Center
- Friday, November 9 – Wear pink to support horsemen and -women who have fought cancer; Rein in Cancer Frisbee toss will take place during the evening finals in the Jim Norick Arena (Frisbees will be sold on the fairgrounds during the show.)
- Friday, November 9 – Team Wrangler Night at 6 p.m. in the Jim Norick Arena
- Saturday, November 10 – AQHA Collegiate Judging Contest at 8 a.m. in the Performance Arena
- Saturday, November 10 – Lucas Oil Superhorse Presentation
- Saturday, November 10 – Pleasure Versatility Challenge, brought to you by Terry Bradshaw Quarter Horses, following the Level 3 senior reining finals in the Jim Norick Arena
- Sunday, November 11 – Wear red to pay tribute to the men and women who have served our country; military personnel and spouses get in free on November 11.
- Sunday, November 11 – AQHA Awards Celebration at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City; Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, November 11 – Church Service at 10 a.m. in the Sales Pavilion
- Monday, November 12 – Exhibitor Party, sponsored by Shane Rux Photography, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the Bennett Event Center
- Tuesday, November 13 – Team Wrangler Versatility Contest at 6 p.m. in Jim Norick Arena
- Friday, November 16 – International guests are invited to an International Reception from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Bennett Event Center
- Saturday, November 17 – AQHA All-Around Amateur and Oklahoma City Leading Owner presentations
Times, dates and locations are subject to change per show management. For more information on events, receptions and parties, view the tentative schedule. Show updates will also be sent through AQHA’s text alert system. To enroll, simply text AQHA to 806-576-0913.
AQHA will also crown the 2018 Lucas Oil Superhorse, AQHA All-Around Amateur, Oklahoma City Leading Owner and top Ranching Heritage-bred horses throughout the show.
Stay up to date with the Lucas Oil Superhorse and AQHA All-Around Amateur leaderboards on www.aqha.com/worldshow.
Can’t Make It to Oklahoma City?
Be sure to tune in to the free live webcast, presented by Nutrena, to watch all the action from the Jim Norick and Performance arenas at www.aqha.com/worldshow. You’ll also find the best coverage of the show, results and more, courtesy of The American Quarter Horse Journal!
About the Lucas Oil World
Nearly 4,500 entries from the United States, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are competing for 99 world championships and 90 Adequan® (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) Level 2 Championships champion titles at this year’s event, November 1-17 at State Fair Park in Oklahoma City.